Monday, June 20, 2011

Hawaii 70.3 Race Report - Part II

As promised, this is the second post-Hawaii 70.3 race report.  It'll be somewhat different than a normal race report though as I won't talk about much racing.  And, it'll likely be short.  Why post at all then, you're probably asking yourself.  Well, I thought about mixing this in with the main race report, but I didn't want to soften the value of what I wanted to write...at least in my own eyes.  

If you've followed me and/or know me personally, you know the triathlon thing is relatively new to me.  Hawaii was only my 4th race and my 1st race was last summer.  After that first race and then what was the last triathlon for me in 2010, I could feel the addiction to this sport.  It's the competition in what is a lonely event.  Pushing myself further than I ever thought I could go.  Doing things that I never thought I could do.  Growing beyond explanation in so many ways.  Those are the things that would keep me coming back for more...at least that's what I thought at the end of last year.  

This year has been different though.  Well, the same but different.  I still crave all those things I mentioned before...I don't anticipate that changing.  But there's something different for me now.  As my interest continues to climb for the world of triathlon, I read more about other athletes and listen to everyone's experiences.  Not strictly to better myself in my next event, but because I am truly interested in what fellow athletes have experienced.  I've become friends with other athletes...both virtually and personally.  We communicate online or in person, checking on the other's training and race schedules.  Wishing the best of luck in whatever event is next on the list.  Sometimes, commiserating over difficult training weeks.  

There's still more though.  And this, I learned in Hawaii.  The minute we got on the airplane and I saw other athletes obviously going to Kona for the same reason I was.  I instantly felt like I had others on my side.  Of course my family was with me and I can always count on them, but this was a feeling of camaraderie with strangers.  The feelings grew as we made our way from the airport to the hotel.  And every day, as the race approached, it got better and better.  Perfect strangers were instantly no longer strangers.  Race strategies were discussed, the training to get there was compared and contrasted, families met and talked about what they had gone through...and gained.  The vibe around the area and the hotel was bursting.  I found myself constantly looking at everyone's wrist to see if they had the wristband signifying their participation in the event.  It was like an invitation to openly talk to a stranger, or at the very least a smile and nod, both with a mutual understanding of...everything it seemed.  I was beaming!  I've never been in a situation like this...it was amazing.  

Then there were those who I got to meet after knowing them only virtually prior to the race.  I got to meet a fellow Daily Miler, Anita S. the day before the race.  We had only shared short messages back and forth prior to the race.  We were able to meet briefly and talk about the race.  She hardly knew me, yet invited our family to a pre-race dinner (which unfortunately we couldn't go to).  I missed meeting another fellow DMer, Jason, but I hope someday we can race together again and meet in person.  There are so many other DMers like David and Karen who always provide so much encouragement.  

Of course, I mentioned Michael in the first post.  He and I share the same coach and we had tons of friendly jabbing and trash talk before the race.  When it came down to it though, it wasn't just the competition between Michael and I, it was the advice and help he gave me to make my race better.  The encouragement he gave me before the swim and along the run every time he saw me.  It was that even though he won, and I owed him the beer, he was waiting for me at the finish line with a beer for me.  I hope Michael and I will race together again soon (Oceanside 2012, Michael?) and it'll be a double or nothing bet.

I guess my point is this - the majority of the people I've met in this sport are amazingly generous, friendly and fun people.  From the pros down to the slowest of age groupers and everyone in between.  And I can't wait to meet so many more people that up to know, I've only talked to through electronic means.  I know I will and I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.  It's this mutual understanding, caring, encouragement and competition that also keeps me addicted to this sport.  I really feel fortunate to be able to be a part of this community.  I only hope I can give back half of what the sport and its participants have given to me. 

Thanks for reading!

- Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment