Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm Blue

That's right...I'm Blue.  It's been a busy summer and I've struggled to keep my head held high.  Not because of work or anything like that, but because of my desires.  Yes, it's true, my mid-life crisis is hitting and I confess that I've acted on those urges.  You see, since spring, I've been desperately thinking of something new...a change in my life.  I've been faithful to the same machine for almost 20 years and I just needed a change.  So, after a great deal of searching, testing, reading, researching and yes...much dreaming, I've given in to my weakness and I've paid for my mid-life crisis.  Yep, you guessed it; I bought a new bike (certainly you didn't think anything else, right?).  Not just any bike, a Blue Triad TT/Multi-sport bike.
Isn't she pretty?

I've patiently waited most of the summer to finish at least one triathlon to decide if I liked the sport before purchasing a bike.  Obviously, I'm addicted already.  Had I not felt this way, I still would have purchased a bike, but it would've been a road bike.  Well, triathlons are the way for me right now so I decided I wanted the proper equipment.  I rode several other makes/models but ultimately chose the Blue for several reasons.  First - the bike, even though a relatively new manufacturer on the scene, has proven to be fast by many of the top triathletes in the world.  Second - Good warranty, lifetime frame, as well as a crash replacement program.  Hopefully I won't ever need either of these, but it's good to know they're available.  Third - I love the look and design...sure it was designed for speed and reduced drag, but it looks pretty sweet too!  Forth - full carbon frame.  Not that unusual here, but I've had my Specialized Allez (carbon) since 1991 and it's a great bike and I love the carbon frames. Fifth - Okay, I could go on so I'll stop at 5...purchase of this bike gets me an hour of free (yes, free) wind tunnel time at the A2 Wind Tunnel in North Carolina.

Wind tunnel???  Seriously? For an old age grouper like me?  Yes...and why not?  No, I won't be in the tunnel like Lance Armstrong was to test some top secret equipment.  No, I won't spend several hours there like George Hincape to help me compete in the Pro Tour races.  But I can improve my speed, and reduce my drag...for free...in a wind tunnel!  I may be a dork, but that's way too cool!  Blue's claim states that nobody has gained less than 10% improvement in aerodynamic wattage.  For long distance races (I'll talk about those plans in a later post) that can save serious amounts of time.  And 10% is the minimum...I'm guessing they could shave a lot more than that off of my form.  So, no...I have no aspirations (or talent) to go pro.  Yes, I am serious about these ridiculously crazy events and still have a competitive spirit.  I will be aiming for age group placements...not sure if I'll get any, but I will try.  Did I mention the wind tunnel is free?!?!  Oh, yeah...I did.

When it comes down to it, the most important part of the purchase was that I was happy with the bike, fit and what I think it will do for me.  As part of the purchase, I received a full certified fit that took over 2 hours.  This was a totally new experience for me, but I could see (and feel) quickly why it is so important to not only increase power, but also increase comfort.  That's an important thing when  you're going to be on the bike for several hours.
Drive train
Another view of where the work gets done.
Just looks fast, doesn't it?

So, for now i will be enjoying every mile I can put on my new ride.  Sure, I've given in big-time to my mid-life crisis (not really having one, just makes it easier to justify such a purchase) and I'm a little guilty about that.  Uhh wait, no I'm not.  Doesn't matter, I feel like a kid getting his/her first bike.  Or like a kid when they first take off the training wheels and head down the road on their own...hopefully paying attention to their direction of travel instead of those cheering them on.  Yep...I'm Blue, and I've never been so happy about it!

Thanks for reading!

- Brian

1 comment:

  1. Awesome bike Brian! I hope to get a Tri bike soon!

    ReplyDelete